Now that we’re close to finished with the kitchen, I can start to give you some updates on everything it’s taken to get to this point. We’ve been working on it for a solid month now. That’s about two weeks longer than I expected, but I’m not entirely surprised.
I started by kicking out that peachy keen bulkhead a few Saturday night’s ago. Then while Adam’s parents were in town, he and Rick got to repairing all the damage around the kitchen. There were holes and cracks everywhere, and for a while we thought the ceiling just might fall down on us!
Adam and Rick cleaned out the old exhaust vent that was probably used with the original kitchen – in 1948. It was super gross, I stayed clear.
We had to take down the cabinets in the left corner, and this extra cabinet is going to go into that spot instead. Down it goes!
And yanked that plastic bask splash right off!
Then they started filling in all the holes with spackle, repairing the cracks, and trying to get the walls to a semi-smooth surface.
Oh yeah, and keep the ceiling from falling down.
Ceiling is good to go!
Daphne was not too thrilled with the commotion. She and the ShopVac really don’t get along well, and she is much happier now that it has gone back into the basement.
She really just couldn’t wait to snuggle up into the old bedspreads, I mean drop cloths we had spread out to try and keep the floor from getting destroyed.
More cleaning and more spackling. Adam eventually had to get a metal ruler to wiggle into the small spots. And there was lots of feathering happening to smooth everything out.
Followed by the vent being sealed up tight. We might use it when we completely gut the kitchen in a few years, but for now, it’s not doing us much good.
Daphne even decided it was time to try going into the basement! She was terrified of it, but for some reason Adam and Rick running up and down changed her mind. Now she’s the first one padding down the stairs to investigate.
When all was said and done, it took about a week for all the spackling to get finished. Adam kept working on it after Rick and Holly went home, and eventually spackled over the cover on the vent. We finally had a super smooth set of walls to paint over! All this work was worth it, can’t wait to show you the paint job tomorrow!