Adam and I had a bit of sticker shock last winter. We were expecting to spend about $1000 on oil to heat our house. Boy was that an underestimate. We ended up spending over $3000. On top of that, the company we had contracted to deliver the oil couldn’t stay on our driveway: they kept driving all over the lawn. Adam had an understandable problem with that (and their lack of good customer service skills as well). Our renovation plans had always included switching from oil to natural gas (he really wants a gas stove with a burner specifically for the wok we brought back from China) we just didn’t think the switch would be so soon.
We met with several heating companies in our area to get estimates and get a feel for how they did business, and ended up using Sila. They were able to throw in the extras that Oliver was offering and we just got a better vibe from the sales rep who came to our house. Sometimes, that’s all it comes down to – connections.
I scheduled the oil tank removal for a day that I was home over the summer and boy was I glad. That behemoth took most of the morning to disembowel – yes, that is the best word choice possible. Enjoy…
Before they sawed it all up, all the oil was drained from the tank for proper removal. I don’t even want to think about how I would clean that up if it spilled.
I had no idea what the inside would look like, and it was pretty gross.
Our massive oil tank from 1948 fits on the back of a pickup truck.
Daphne was not thrilled at the screeching of the saw going through the metal, but I think she was more upset that the workmen wouldn’t come play with her (of course). They pumped out all the old oil to make sure it was handled properly and took away the empty carcass of that 1948 oil tank. Bye bye!
Now we have a great empty space for another work bench, storage, or a whole lot of nothing!