This morning, Daphne and I went to UPenn’s Ryan Veterinary Hospital for a second oncology consultation. Everyone fell in love with her – from the staff checking us in to the four doctors we spoke with.
We got her biopsy results back two weeks ago. Daphne’s diagnosis is a chondrosarcoma tumor. It’s most likely benign, but there is potential for it to turn malignant.
The good news is that this type of cancer isn’t as dangerous as the osteosarcoma she was originally diagnosed with. The bad news is that the doctors at Hope Veterinary Hospital recommended only one course of action that makes sense: amputation.
Amputating Daphne’s leg will nearly eliminate any chance for the cancer to return or spread. It’s also a lot more cost-effective because it is a permanent solution. We went to UPenn to make sure this was the best course of action, and the four doctors who met Daphne all agreed it was. I’m glad we got a second opinion, it makes the decision much clearer.
If we went through a course of radiation, it would cost $5000 or more and there’s a good chance that it won’t kill the growth already there. Plus radiation is likely to make the cancer more aggressive and more likely to spread. If the surgeon tries to remove the tumor, there is a good chance he won’t get everything – which means the tumor grows back. Again it would be more likely to be aggressive and more dangerous for her.
Daphne’s amputation surgery is tentatively scheduled for Monday the 9th. It’s going to cost $3000, and several people asked to set up a GoFundMe account for her. So she has one: www.GoFundMe.com/DaphneCancer. If you have $5 lying around that you want to donate to help a sweet dog live out her life and provide joy and comfort to her family and friends, she and I would be very grateful.
We will keep y’all posted on her surgery and progress afterwards. She is about to be the world’s cutest three-legged dog.
PS – It is our 4th wedding anniversary today. Enjoy this gem from the vault: